Potatoes USA is the nation’s potato marketing organization. They provide inspiration, information, tools and education to potato lovers all over the world. I’m honored and proud to have been asked to be a 2017 blogger and to come up with a spicy spring recipe using my favorite potato, the Yukon gold. Not only are potatoes low in calories and in fat, they are packed with vitamin c and an abundance of potassium.
Spice is the variety of life, and there is a plethora of spices that can be used to create incredibly delicious potato dishes.
This flavorful stew recipe is filled with an array of spices that marry together to create the most aromatic and satisfying vegetarian dish. Served over a bed of Jasmine rice, it is both fragrant and delectable. Some of the spices used include turmeric, ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon.
Indian Stew with Yukon Gold Potatoes, Vidalia Onion and Spring Vegetables
Potato Type: Yukon Gold
Prep Method: Stovetop
Course: Main Dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or clarified butter
- ½ yellow onion (Vidalia) thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground curry powder
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound French style green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, heat the olive oil or butter
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves, chopped chilies, turmeric, one teaspoon of black pepper and the onions.
- Season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the potato cubes, diced carrots, green beans, and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender and the coconut milk is slightly reduced, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve over Jasmine rice
Chopped fresh cilantro will add additional flavor when sprinkled on top of the stew. If seeking more vegetables, ½ cup of frozen or fresh peas is a nice touch. To thicken the stew add equal parts flour and coconut milk in a separate sauce pot and add to the mixture one tablespoon at a time. Serve with baked chicken for added protein if not wanting a vegetarian meal.