Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Po-Boy
Recipe by: Food Is Love
- Shrimp (Medium, Shelled & Deveined, approx 5 per sandwich)
- Bacon (half cooked)
- BBQ Sauce (recipe at bottom)
- Sub Rolls
- Boston Lettuce (or your choice of a crispy fresh lettuce)
- Tomato (meaty)
- 1 cup Smoky Mayo (recipe at bottom)*BBQ Sauce Ingredients*
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Smoke Sauce
- 1 medium Onion (chopped or grated finely)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper
- (If you desire a spicier bbq sauce, add 2 tsp Siracha)
Smokey Mayo Sauce
- 1 cup Mayo
- 2 tsp Smoke Sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Peel and Clean Shrimp, Refrigerate.
- Pre-Cook Bacon, set aside.
Prepare BBQ Sauce
- In a saucepan, saute butter and onions until translucent. Add remaining ingredients.
- Lower heat to low and simmer for 30-45 mins.
- Remove from heat. Cool 30 mins.
- Refrigerate in closed container.
Prepare Smokey Mayo
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Refrigerate in closed container until needed.
- Wrap each Shrimp with 1/2 slice of bacon. (Bacon should be pre-cooked by half.) The bacon takes too long to cook, thus making the shrimp overcooked. Pre-cooking the bacon halfway, prevents this.
- Once Shrimp is wrapped in bacon, Place Shrimp on the Metal Skewers. (may use wooden, if pre-soaked in water to prevent burning) Be sure to “catch” the ends of the bacon, so they stay attached to shrimp when turning. (If tailgating. Stop here and place in closed container in cooler)
When ready to Grill
- Grill shrimp on direct heat until bacon is crisp. Move to indirect heat and baste with BBQ sauce. 2-3 times
- When Shrimp start to give resistance, remove from grill.
- Slice Sub rolls, spread Smokey Mayo onto bread.
- Add Lettuce and Tomato
- Top with Shrimp
- Drizzle with BBQ Sauce.