Buttermilk Baked Chicken
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (3 pound) chicken cut into 8 pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Fit a sheet tray with a wire rack and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together buttermilk, lemon juice, hot sauce, onion, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Add chicken and coat with mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3 hours or up 12 hours.
- Mix corn flakes, Parmesan cheese, and thyme together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off, and dredge through the corn flake-Parmesan mixture, pressing to help it adhere.
- Place on the wire rack-fitted sheet tray and bake for 45 minutes until golden and crisp.
Cook’s Note: Remove the skin to save calories. Soaking chicken in buttermilk leaves the chicken incredibly moist with a delicious flavor.