This is a Yummy quick pie to put together when at the beach, for the teens to heat up, or as a comfort casserole dish!
I often make this spicy chicken pie using rotisserie chicken, especially if I really need to cut the time. Browned ground beef or turkey can also be used , or this can be vegetarian by omitting meat altogether! Add a can of rinsed and drained black beans and about 1 cup of cooked corn to the tomato sauce mixture for bulk.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 16-ounce can refried beans
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and saute until soft. Add taco seasoning mix and tomato sauce. Remove one cup of the sauce from the skillet and set aside. Add shredded chicken and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl or in a small saucepan. Spread 1/2 cup of the reserved sauce in the bottom of a pie, spring-form or cake pan. Layer with corn tortillas, about 3 1/2 per layer, tearing them to cover the bottom completely. Top with half the chicken mixture and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Top with more tortillas. Spread refried beans over top and sprinkle with 1/2 grated cheese. Repeat with another layer of the tortillas, and top with the remaining chicken mixture and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Top with one more layer of tortillas, the reserved sauce and another 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until completely heated.
Note: Once prepared, the Chicken Tortilla Pie can be refrigerated overnight or frozen for up to one month before baking. Allow additional baking time if pie is cold when put into the oven. Serve with a mixed green tossed salad, diced avocado and tomatoes and and your favorite dressing.