Makes 8 appetizer sandwiches
- 1 1/4 cup Honey Dijon mustard
- 8 pieces Soft pumpernickel rolls, split
- 8 slices 1/4 inch thick smoked mozzarella cheese*
- 8 slices seedless watermelon the same size as the cheese
- 1 cup fresh alfalfa, sunflower or your favorite sprouts
- Spread the mustard on each of the cut sizes of the rolls.
- Place a slice of cheese and watermelon on top of each roll bottom and divide the sprouts over the watermelon slices.
- Place the top of the roll over the sprouts.
Notes: * Smoked fresh mozzarella cheese can be found with specialty or gourmet cheeses at most supermarkets. It comes in ovals about 3 inches in diameter, which is the perfect size for this recipe. If the smoked mozzarella available in your market is larger, cut in half and use half-moon shapes. Plain fresh mozzarella can be substituted but the smoky flavor is terrific in the recipe.
You may add shaved smoked ham to these pumps for a heartier sandwich.