This old-fashioned dessert comes from cookbook,”Rose’s Heavenly Cakes” and contains no butter or oil. Instead, whipped cream gives the cake its melt-in-your-mouth texture and subtle floral flavor.
- Nonstick cooking spray with flour
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Powdered sugar, for dusting cake (optional)
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack set in lower third of the oven. Spray a 10-cup fluted metal tube or Bundt pan with cooking spray with flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift flour mixture and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip cream on low, gradually increasing speed to medium-high as cream thickens, until stiff peaks form.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. With the mixer on medium-high, gradually add egg mixture; beat until thickened (like mayonnaise) and well combined. Gradually add sugar, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the whisk attachment from the mixer. Using the whisk attachment, gently fold half the flour mixture into the cream mixture until flour is dissolved and well combined. Repeat process with remaining flour mixture. Transfer batter to prepared cake pan; run a small metal spatula or dull knife through batter to prevent large air bubbles from forming, avoiding bottom of the pan. Smooth surface evenly with a small metal spatula.
- Transfer pan to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into cake comes out clean and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer cake pan to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes; cake will begin to shrink from sides of pan.
- Spray a wire rack with nonstick cooking spray. Using a metal spatula, loosen top edges of cake and invert onto prepared wire rack. Let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped cream, if desired.