- 6 large Spanish-style onions
- 6 Tbsp. whole butter
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups veal stock
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
Seasoning Packet, bound in cheesecloth:
- 4 thyme stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- Melt butter in saucepan, add onions and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until onions are soft and golden brown.
- Add sherry and cook 15 minutes until sherry has evaporated.
- Add white wine and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Add stock and seasoning packet and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls.
- Place French bread crouton on top of soup and top with cheese.
- Bake in oven on a sheet pan until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.