Whenever my husband I travel to Atlanta, we always make a b-line to Restaurant Eugene, Linton Hopkins award winning restaurant. We were thankful when our son decided to attend Georgia Tech as it allowed us to experience the food scene more often. On Reeds first visit to Tech, we took him to restaurant Eugene.
- 6 large Spanish-style onions
- 6 Tbsp. whole butter
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups veal stock
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
Seasoning Packet, bound in cheesecloth:
- 4 thyme stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- Peel and thinly slice onions.
- Melt butter in saucepan, add onions and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until onions are soft and golden brown.
- Add sherry and cook 15 minutes until sherry has evaporated.
- Add white wine and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Add stock and seasoning packet and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls.
- Place French bread crouton on top of soup and top with cheese.
- Bake in oven on a sheet pan until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.