Butternut squash is the most popular among winter squash varieties and can be recognized as a large pear shaped golden-yellow pumpkin fruit. Butternuts have high levels of vitamin-A, providing about 354% of RDA. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by body for maintaining the integrity of skin. It is also an essential vitamin for vision.
For Sunday Supper this week we are sharing squash recipes, and I chose Butternut Squash Soup as it is one of the best vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes to give to non-turkey eaters (like my sister who will be visiting from Colorado) or just to balance a heavy meal. In this version I added chicken, but you can easily omit the protein as it is not introduced until the end of the recipe. We just had a cold snap here in Northwest, Florida (cold to Floridians) and Butternut squash soup is perfect to warm up bodies on a cool night. This soup is a delectable appetizer and also a hearty meal when paired with a delicious salad and bread.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Chunky Chicken Soup
- 8 cups chopped butternut squash
- 8 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced shallots
- 4 smashed and chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 7 cups low sodium natural chicken stock
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and cubed
To roast the squash, preheat the oven to 350°F.
With a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the squash. Carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Chop into cubes and place the squash on a baking sheet and drizzle with about six tablespoons of the olive oil. Roast the squash until it is soft and caramelized, about 25-30 minutes.
To make the soup, in a large soup pot over medium heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and then add the shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Cook until the shallots are soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until the mixture is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the squash, stock, and yogurt. Cook until all of the flavors meld together, 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig.
Puree the soup in a Vitamix or blender, being careful not to overload the blender with the hot soup. (Before turning on the machine, be sure the lid is tightly secured to prevent the hot mixture from escaping.)
Add the chicken to the soup and top with a dollop of crème fraîche, sour cream or greek yogurt if desired.
For more delicious squash recipes check out all of the Sunday Supper Blogs below!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Winter Squash Rolls from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chunky Chicken Soup from 30AEats.com
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese from A distinguished palate
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Bake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Butternut Squash Risotto from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Kuri and Buttercup Squash with Rosemary from Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Butternut Squash Pie with Cinnamon-Brandy Whipped Cream from The Texan New Yorker
- Layered Pumpkin Gingerbread with Hot Caramel Sauce from Webicurean
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter tonight! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm CST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.